Beginners ask questions about the User-friendly permalinks like what are the permalinks? importance of perm links? Quantity and words in permalinks? Best permalinks structure? Use of the category, dates, .html, .php extensions in permalinks and many other questions. In this article, we provide complete information related to permalinks. You can also read about How to set up permalinks in WordPress. You also need to read about the canonical URL.
What are the permalinks?
Generally, Permalinks are addresses of the website to posts and pages as well. It makes web addresses for each post and page. Permalinks are permanent assets of the website and you need to modify them according to user experience. You can modify the user-friendly permalinks structure if you want.
Generally, Permalinks contain the name of the domain and link slug.
Importance of User-friendly Permalinks Structure
Permalinks assist visitors to find each content on any website. It may consist of related words. Visitors and search engines will provide maximum knowledge about the page or selected post. Like, “http://qasimagha.com/seo-strategies “ indicates on what to expect. Moreover, search engines use the context of permalink to rank against search queries.
Whenever you share user-friendly permalinks, you took a step in your site to get more traffic and rank your site in Google’s top results.
What quantity of words or characters are legal in slug
In case you can create your title lengthy as seven- to nine-words and it is quite natural. If you are done with three, four or five words in URL, that can be good. As it is a little longer, then it begins to look a little worse too. Now algorithm of Google just weight those words less and just not provide your site as much credit and value.
The best permalinks URL structure in SEO.
I mostly use an understandable and easy permalink structure. Doing end your URL with the post name is the most usable way. You may also prefix the post name with the specific category. It displays as in the following results:
In case we use the second method its result will:
For more purification, adding your main keyword somewhere in the post’s name is the best option. While evaluating the preview of the plugin, you will find your main keyword in the URL.
If you decide to change your user-friendly permalinks structure over time, make sure you properly redirect users from the old URL structure to the new one. Remember that this modification would be a restructuring of the site. You may need to redirect the previous URLs into the new ones. If you have decided to get rid of dates in your permalink structure, you can use the following redirect .htaccess file.
Some basics information about Best Permalinks:
You can feel the need for lengthy permalinks, and hide ones as well. It permits a combination of tags in the URL structure of the website. For instance, ‘author’, ‘category’ and dates in your permalinks. These collections may cause long permalinks.
We have made a list of other points to consider before setting permalink on the site.
- Try to utilize post names on the permalink of the site. The name of the post on permalink creates it more simple and convenient to remember. It is convenient for people and also for search engines.
- Set date tags in your site according to its URL. Such as, if you are running a news site, it can assist to categorize news timely. But, it will not suitable for other kinds of websites. Knowledge of any post that provides an old timestamp is considered as the old method. Some visitors will click on the results that consist of date from many years before. Even though the knowledge is relevant and accurate still.
- The categorization of the site enables to organize your site content. If you are an owner of a site with multiple, distinct categories, create it convenient to identify content from the URL. However, it keeps your permalink for a long time.
- Another point to keep under consideration is the use of numbers on your URL. It does not try to provide any hint about the post. So, this process is not right for search engines.
Some WordPress provide default permalinks options
- Ugly permalinks: WordPress has its default permalink structure. It consists of numbers called the ID of permalinks. These post ids identify each post or page you make. Such as https://qasimagha.com/?p=91. This permalink defaults on all WordPress based websites.
- Pretty permalinks: Pretty permalinks are user-friendly URLs of a website. They have words inside that indicate the post or page.
- Almost pretty permalinks: These are the same as the pretty permalinks. Almost pretty permalink has the file index.php prefix. Such as, the link above would be https://qasimagha.com/index.php/name-of-post.
This easy and understandable permalink structure can help without the mod-rewrite module.
Using dates in permalinks structure
There are some cases in which we can use dates in your URLs. Basically using dates in the post’s URL never had numerous advantages. Whenever you include dates to URL, it will automatically ‘date’ posts of your site.
Users will generally search for posts with a recent date. It is considered that recent posts contain the best information. But, older posts can also have very important knowledge. However, these will not gain the same amount of clicks due to their age. There are some examples where we can use Dates News, price band, etc.
Use of category in the permalinks structure
If the name of the domain is simple and short. Try to utilize descriptive category names, you can simply include a category in your permalink structure. It can give you the advantage of your site. Ignore: if you end with a long slug and category name, it can create sharing the URL harder and won’t have much value in Google.
If you have decided to include categories in your permalink structure, remember that you only choose one category per post. In my point of view, this Permalinks structure is best for User and Search Engines both. Because it’s very helpful to understand and navigate the structure.
Addition of .html, .php and other extensions in permalink structure
Addition .html extension present in your URLs cannot make any effect in your site rank.
If you want to modify your URLs, such as, you want to move to a new content management system that doesn’t permit you to use .html URLs at all. then You need to redirect all the old URL to new and that think takes much time if you have a large site. Because of its changes in the structure of the URL. Normally this extinction is an add-in script based website not for WordPress.
Use your seed Keyword in URL
Google show results based on keywords and if you use your focus keyword in URLs or Permalinks. That makes a boost in your site ranking. watch that video:
Modification of Permalinks structure for better SEO
You can expect that changing of URL structure for better SEO is necessary. But, in case you are blogging for a while, you may not need to create any drastic decisions. Have you used dates in your permalink structure already? So, it might be wise to not switch to a structure without dates.
But, if you are using the “old style” URLs (?p=), it’d be good to switch regardless of how long you are blogging. This will enhance your blog’s potential and can be found in Google SERPs in top results. Google also talks about the Permalinks structure you can read if you want.
Overall, permalink structures won’t differ much from website to website if done correctly. We advise that you make sure your permalink structure is properly set before avidly writing posts. But if you already have some post-on-site and now you want to change your site structure then don’t forget to redirect Old ULR to New.